Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Not alone on my journey

Still riding the high that is my spiritual journey.  After living in a desert for the past several months, this is exhilarating.  And my son is experiencing his own spiritual excitement as well.  He, like me, has struggled since leaving Christianity and probably more than me has suffered from the bullying he experienced from his youth group and the leaders in it.  He has emotional and neurological conditions that don't help:  Tourette Syndrome, OCD, and ADHD.  And he suffers from depression.  A host of problems that are difficult to overcome.  So having problems on his spiritual journey has been overwhelming to him.

He decided to go back to his first love:  witchcraft.  Not Wicca or anything like that.  Just plain witchcraft.  I'm happy for him.  I think in our house we tend to over-think things way too much.  Sometimes the simplest answers are the most satisfying.

Fortunately I have several books that will aid him but if he needs anything else, we'll find it if we can.

As for me, I got my new book today.  It's Walter Burkert's Greek Religion.  I was a bit worried because a few people online had complained it was dry as dust, being a textbook and all, but so far I find it very readable.  But then again, I love textbooks about history so...

Before we left for the store today I prayed at the threshold shrine for a safe journey as it was snowing.  It was starting to get a bit slick on the way home but the minivan drives well in snow and I'm a pretty good winter driver myself.  It was safe enough to keep to the speed limit today but if it wasn't, I'm not stupid enough to push it.  My shrine is for both Zeus and Hermes but I prayed specifically to Hermes today.

I'm still getting to know the Greeks.  Or getting to know them again.  I used to know them in my youth although I didn't know you could still pray to or worship them.  In fact, Bullfinch's Mythology states categorically that no one has worshiped the gods in centuries.  So I'm sure I read that one as well when I was a child.  Edith Hamilton was my favorite though.  I've got both now...one on Kindle that I got free (Bullfinch) and Edith Hamilton's was at Walmart.

So I have lots of reading to do and much housework as well.  The chaos in our home from me not being able to do a lot really contributes to the negativity that we live under.  Zach is going to help me get organized and I'm going to push myself as much as I can to get it done.  Which might not be as much as I would like.  Today at the store I had a major flare-up of my fibromyalgia that forced me to a bench to sit for a while.  I'm still hurting and am going to take a pain pill in just a few.  I've never had a flare up hit me that hard or that abruptly before but to be honest, lying in bed or just resting all the time causes as much pain because I need to move my muscles frequently or they really hurt a lot.

So...lots of changes on the horizon, I hope.  I can rest when I need to but I need to get some organization going.  The clutter is overwhelming me.

BB

No comments:

Post a Comment