Saturday, November 10, 2012

Everything is neo

One of my problems on this path has been a need for something authentic.  After discovering that I had been lied to all my life about the bible being true, infallible and an accurate account of history, I needed someone to tell me the truth.  I soon discovered that much of both Druidry and Wicca are modern constructs, including some of the deities in the various pantheons.  Not to mention there is no real "Celtic" pantheon at all.  It's a compilation of Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Anglo Saxon.

So I went looking for something that had roots in antiquity.  The Greeks were good for that except those who insist on using only literature from the Classical period as if that is the only time the gods were worshiped properly and anyone else who does it differently is guilty of hubris.  Then I looked to the Norse and it was a disappointment as well since no literature exists that hasn't been written from a Christian perspective.  Or at least with a touch of Christianity thrown into the mix.

It was so demoralizing to me not to be able to find something authentic out there.  Until Zach and I were talking and came to the conclusion that everything is neo, including Christianity, Judaism and Islam.  Everything has evolved to make itself relevant to people today.  Once I realized that, authenticity was no longer an issue for me.  Now it's just a matter of finding the path I'm comfortable on.

For now that path is magick, witchcraft and folklore.  I admit that my beliefs line up the most with the Celtic/druid flavor of the month but I'm not limiting myself to Celtic deities at all.  I will call upon the gods I am connected to.  I don't believe you can just pull a god's name out of a hat and get something from them.  I think you need to establish a relationship with them.  But I don't think it has to be going steady or even a long-term arrangement.

I was reading some of my magick books last night, about spellcrafting, Wicca and Mrs. B's Guide to Household Witchery and felt pretty good about it.  I have felt a pull in the direction of a few gods whom I call upon during morning and evening ritual and we will see how that works out.  I've also pulled out my Druidry books but for skimming...not for studying.

I hope to spend more time studying than online from now on, especially now that the election is over.  I have much to do here, much to accomplish with crafts, learning more about witchcraft and being better at frugality, especially because I never want to be caught out like I was when the bottom dropped out of the economy several years ago.

Thanks so much to the increase in readers lately, in large part to The Crossroads Companion who gave me a Witchy Blog Award.  I'm honored and blushing at her description of my blog.  It was so nice.  I hope to get to the rules and such later this week.

Thanks to all who continue on this path with me, who have had the unbelievable patience to put up with me and who have been there for me.  I found out through Cin that I had captcha on my comment section.  I didn't set it up that way but hopefully it's gone now.  I can never read the darned thing to comment either.

BB

4 comments:

  1. And that is why I say I'm on the path of being Imbrium ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the faiths of the world are interconnected. The relationships aren't always obvious, but they are there if you dig a little. Sometimes, the journey through all the pantheons, through the philosophies ends up teaching us everything we need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this. I may not even like all the interconnectedness but I think you're right that it is there. I hope I'm open enough to learning without shutting down anything that has a lesson to teach me but I will admit that a couple of those pantheons bear nothing but bitter and painful experiences for me and I just can't open up to them again. Much as you would an abusive ex or something.

      Delete